Business SolutionsLegal issues are a key component of business planning and effective business strategies. Robert F. Vargo’s capably advances his client’s business interests, offering clients general business counseling and transactional services, along with specific support in the areas of real estate and technology management.
In this practice area, Mr. Vargo assists emerging and established company clients in all aspects of their day-to-day business activities, ranging from initial start-up advice and formation activities to representing clients in a wide range of operational and commercial matters integral to his clients’ businesses. His clients engage in a broad range of businesses, including technology development, real estate, manufacturing, retail and services. Typically, he establishes long-term relationships with his clients, developing a close understanding of their strategic goals and practical business and legal needs over time.
PRACTICE AREA OVERVIEWS
Emerging CompaniesMr. Vargo assists emerging company clients in all aspects of their business activities, ranging from initial start-up advice and formation activities to representing clients on a wide range of operational and commercial matters integral to his clients’ businesses. The scope of this practice includes:
- Choice of entity determinations
- Formation and structuring of entities
- Organizational documents
- Shareholders agreements and other agreements among investors
- Stock redemptions
- Buy-Sell Agreements
- Stock option plans
- Partnership Agreements
- LLC Regulations/Operating Agreements
- Joint Ventures
- Review Business Plans
- Provide introductions to funding sources
Representing clients in various types of corporate transactions, Mr. Vargo handles matters ranging from routine financings to complex corporate ventures. These matters include mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, commercial financings, private securities offerings, and real estate transactions. His clients are in a variety of industries, including employment services, electronic manufacturing, telecommunications and optics. The scope of this practice includes:
- Financing businesses (including venture capital, asset and secured financing and private placements of equity)
- Loan agreements, equipment leases and other financing documents.
- Mergers, acquisitions and dispositions of assets and stock
- Acquisition and disposition of technology and other intellectual property
Commercial TransactionsWhether representing manufacturers or service firms, he understands a client’s need to successfully deliver products and services to the marketplace. He is experienced in structuring and negotiating relationships with suppliers, distributors, sales representatives and customers. In connection with such transactions, the scope of his representation frequently includes:
- OEM Agreements
- Product Distribution
- Joint Marketing Agreements
- Strategic Alliances
- Manufacturing Agreements
- Inventory Indemnification Agreements
General BusinessMr. Vargo has experience in entity organization and governance, legal compliance, and risk management in connection with day-to-day business operations. Often, his threshold responsibility it to identify legal issues, after which he coordinates the assistance of authorities, as necessary, to reach appropriate resolution. His goal in this capacity is to act as “general counsel” for businesses that do not have attorneys on staff or need to augment their in-house capabilities.
The scope of this practice includes:
- Reviewing and drafting operational documents
- Preparing employment, non-compete and confidentiality agreements.
- Advising clients on employee matters and preparing employee handbooks.
- Attending board meetings and advising directors, managers and partners on matters of internal entity governance.
- Consulting and service agreements
Technology ManagementMr. Vargo has special experience in assisting emerging and established technology companies in understanding and using intellectual properties, ensuring that intellectual property is an integral element of their overall business strategy. His representation covers a diverse client base ranging from telecommunications equipment manufacturers to optics to inert gas lighting. The scope of his practice includes:
- Software technology and product licensing agreements
- Software technology and product development agreements
- Research and development project agreements
- Strategic alliances